Tuesday, May 15, 2012

The Monkees

Those of you who read this on a regular basis know that I'm a fan of the Beatles.  But did you know that I'm also a fan of the Monkees?  Oh, yeah.  Not as hard-core as the Beatles, but a fan, just the same.  My very first concert was the the Monkees on November 20, 1986 (with my sister L and best friend at the time, M) when they were doing the 20th reunion tour.  I was 14 years old.  (I'm 39 now, for those who are mathmatically inept.  I won't be 40 for a few months.)  I discovered the Monkees and the Beatles around the same time. And while I have always appreciated the Beatles, my preference for the Monkees has waxed and waned over the years.  Out of nowhere, this song came to me the other day and it has been stuck in my head ever since.





Which, I don't quite get.  It's not a better known song of theirs. (When most people think of the Monkees, they either think of the theme song, or "Daydream Believer".  I mean no disrespect to Davy Jones, or his family, but that song was overplayed when he passed away back in February.)  But there was something about this song that I've just always liked.  The tune, the melody, the vocals...I don't know.  I just like it. 

And, as with the Beatles a couple of months ago, this may be another obsession, so don't be surprised if I post more Monkees stuff.

No comments:

Post a Comment