Wednesday, March 28, 2012

Apple Squares

Since this is called Noni's Hooks and Needles, maybe you don't know that on occasion, I like to bake.  Sometimes when I have a couple of extra apples, I just have to make a batch of these.  I loved it when my mom made these when I was a kid.  They have become a favorite of my family as well.




Apple Squares

1 C sugar
2 C diced apples (I like to use granny smiths)
1 egg
1/2 C oil
1 1/2 C flour
1 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. cinnamon
1/2 tsp. salt





Preheat oven to 350. Combine sugar and diced apples.  Let stand for 10 minutes.  While letting apples stand, in a seperate bowl, sift dry ingredients. Then mix oil and eggs with apples.    Add dry ingredients to apple mixture.  Batter will be stiff.  Bake in a lightly greased 11x7 pan for 35-40 minutes, or a 9x13 pan for 25-30 minutes.





These are so good when cut into squares, but they are even better when...



...you top them with a little bit of vanilla ice cream and caramel syrup.  YUM!

No comments:

Post a Comment